Maintaining your solar photovoltaic (PV) system
Solar PV systems are like any electrical equipment that need to be regularly maintained for safe and efficient use.
Regular maintenance should be carried out in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and conducted by a qualified person who is aware of the electrical risks with solar panels.
Never attempt electrical repairs yourself.
Contact your electrician or installer for full maintenance, or to repair any damage to the solar panels such as loose fittings or exposed cables.
Cleaning solar panels
Keep solar panels clean so they operate efficiently and safely. Always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
A suitable qualified person should:
- use water, not cleaning products
- using scourers or other abrasive cleaners
- avoid using high pressure water cleaners
- not rest buckets or lean on the panels.
Things to check
- Check all panels for cracks or chips in the glass, discolouration or other obvious defects.
- Ensure the panels and supporting frames are firmly secured and free from debris.
- Make sure that the fittings and cables at the panels and the inverter remain securely attached.
- Review the inverter display panel for any recorded faults (refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for advice).
- Check that emergency procedures for shut down and isolation are clearly displayed.
- Make sure that the cooling vents of the inverter are clear of debris.
- Ensure access to the isolator switches is not impeded.
- Look out for overhead powerlines near the solar installation.
- Take care when working on ladders or at heights.
- Cut back trees and remove structures that cause shading of the panels (shading can reduce the efficiency and safety of the panels).
For more information about maintaining your solar PV system, download the Solar power system electrical safety brochure.(PDF, 317.52 KB)
- Last updated
- 17 January 2017
North Queensland Return to Work Conference
The North Queensland Return to Work Conference is back in 2017 with a new line-up of expert speakers addressing the needs of those on the frontline of rehabilitation and return to work. Register now!
It's now even easier to track your claim with the Worker Assist app
Get real time updates about your claim, any time, anywhere, and find out when your next payment will be plus much more!