Electricity around water
Water and electricity do not mix.
Take extreme care when using electrical appliances or equipment near a swimming pool, pond, water feature, dam or creek.
- Only use electrical equipment via a safety switch.
- If equipment is not designed to operate in water make sure it cannot fall or slide in.
- Mains operated equipment like pumps, lights and appliances must be:
- installed and used according to manufacturer's instructions
- fit for purpose.
- Submersible pumps must be either of the earthed type or 12 volts.
- Keep extension leads, cords or electrical appliances out of the water.
View the brochure on electrical safety and water environments (PDF, 180.26 KB).
Making your swimming pool electrically safe
A licensed electrical contractor must install and maintain your pool wiring and electrical equipment.
When planning your pool, talk to your electrical contractor about:
- switchboards, meter boxes or electrical accessories that may be inside the pool area
- where to safely locate power points
- installing permanent outdoor lighting
- safety switch protection.
If underwater lighting is used it must be according to the current AS/NZS 3000 Electrical installations (known as the Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules).
Requirements for swimming pool electrical installations include bonding metal work in the pool area, safety switch protection and measures to keep moisture out of electrical equipment.
Make sure protective and waterproof covers for electrical equipment are kept in place. Only remove for maintenance.
Keep electric radios, televisions and other appliances well away from pools.
Keeping your pool electrically safe
- Never use extension leads, electrical appliances and cords near the pool.
- Don't put a mains-operated light or appliance where it could fall or slide into the pool.
- Check underwater lights regularly for glass cracks or defective seals.
- Have regular maintenance completed by a licensed electrical contractor.
- Last updated
- 04 April 2017
It's now even easier to track your claim with the Worker Assist app
Get real time updates about your claim, any time, anywhere, and find out when your next payment will be plus much more!