Skip links and keyboard navigation

Queensland Government site header

Health, safety and workers' compensation for small businesses

As a small business, we know there are lots of things you need to be thinking about. This webinar aims to give you useful information to help you with any insurance or work-related injury questions, so you can get on with running your business.

By watching this 40 minute webinar you’ll learn about:

  • How Workplace Health and Safety Queensland supports small businesses. The Small Business Program provides free work health and safety advisory services to small businesses throughout Queensland. We’ll cover the basics of what you need to know about work health and safety, and how we can help you manage risks in your workplace.
  • How WorkCover Queensland will cover your workers and protect your business in the event of a work-related injury. We’ll discuss how protecting your business and your workers helps you stay in business, what your policy covers your business and workers for, and how you can be prepared for a claim, just in case.

Watch now.

Useful resources

Injury Prevention and safety - small business

Injury information pack

Questions and answers

  • How can WorkCover be sure if an injury really happened on site or outside of work?
    • Ensure you follow your procedures for any non-work related injuries. If a subsequent claim has been lodged, WorkCover gathers information from the worker, employer, doctors and other people, such as witnesses to the event or independent medical examiners, to help us make our decision. Some of the criteria used to determine a claim is: "Was the injury caused by a work-related event?", "Was the person injured because of, or in the course of, employment?" and "Is the employment a significant contributing factor to the injury?" Any concerns regarding an injury can be addressed with your WorkCover Claims Representative when you are contacted as part of the claim determination process.
  • How long do you have to keep a position open for an injured worker to return?
    • An employer can not dismiss an injured worker solely because of their injury within 12 months of the worker sustaining the injury.
  • Is it correct that Directors (even if also an employee) are not covered by WorkCover?
    • Yes, Directors are not covered under your accident insurance policy. A Workplace personal injury insurance policy offers coverage to eligible persons not covered under an accident insurance policy. Find out more.
  • We have rural properties mostly in Queensland and have one in Northern Territory. Would WorkCover cover this property as owned by a Queensland based company?
    • To determine whether WorkCover would cover the workers at your Northern Territory property we would consider whether the workers employment is connected with Queensland. To determine which state the worker is connected to, there are three tests to be applied. If the workers employment situation satisfies the first test then there is no need to proceed to the next test. Assuming your workers usually work in Northern Territory they would be not be covered by your WorkCover accident insurance policy, you would need to obtain a policy within Northern Territory.
  • Can you please give us a quick overview on contractors?
    • Determining whether your employee is considered a worker or a contractor depends on many different considerations. We encourage you to review  Who should I cover? as this provides an overview regarding contractor indicators which you can consider for your unique circumstances. The ATO decision tool can also be used to determine if a person is an employee or contractor.
  • If I am a sole trader. Can I claim WorkCover if I got injured?
  • I believe volunteers are covered by WorkCover if you provide meals travel allowance/ is this correct?
    • It is not compulsory for organisations to cover their volunteers for any work-related injury they may sustain. However, WorkCover may enter into a contract of insurance with certain organisations to cover their volunteers for statutory claims only, as a result of injuries sustained in the course of volunteer activities. Please contact WorkCover on 1300 362 128 to discuss your specific circumstances.
  • Does household workers insurance apply to commercial groups such as gardeners who are required to hold their own insurances?
    • If you employ a household worker in, or about, or in connection with your primary place of residence or connected property, it is compulsory to take out a household workers' insurance policy. This will cover you against potential compensation costs if the worker is injured while working for you. If an agency referred the worker to you from their database and you do the hiring, you are responsible for covering them for workers’ compensation insurance. Find out more.
  • What do we do if the employee does not wish to claim after an injury? (E.g. stiches for a cut requiring no time off)
    • You are obliged to notify WorkCover of any injury that may be compensable within 8 business days. We will then contact the worker to discuss if they wish to proceed with their claim for compensation.
  • Would you recommend a suitable duties plan for someone that injured themselves outside of work time?
    • WorkCover Queensland does recommend that a suitable duties plan be used for all injuries as part of best practice. This can help your worker feel supported and to foster a strong safety culture within your workplace.

More information

For more information about your policy, visit these pages on our website:

Accident insurance policy

Who should I cover?

Calculating premium

Cover provided by your policy

Last updated
11 January 2019

We'd love your feedback

The Farm safety calendar competition 2020 is now open!

Find out how to enter here.


Farm safety calendar competion 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

How to help prevent the spread of infection at work and answers to common workers' compensation questions.


How to help prevent the spread of infection at work and answers to common workers' compensation questions