New year safety check
The new year is a great time for a quick safety check of your business before things get busy.
- Review your safe work procedures for electrical work, particularly for working live or working near live parts.
- Review your testing procedures.
- Ensure workers are aware of safe work and testing procedures, particularly if you’ve made changes.
- Ensure new workers are competent to perform the work carried out by your business and they are aware of your procedures.
- Check your test instruments, tools and personal protective equipment to ensure they are working and in good condition.
A bit of time spent checking the basics now can help set you up for a safe year of work.
If you’ve started an apprentice in 2020, take the time to read the apprentice supervision guide (PDF, 272.24 KB).
It’s also a good time to refresh your workers’ skills, especially testing procedures for electrical installation work. Many registered training organisations (RTOs) offer short-course refresher training in installation testing. For more information contact your local RTO. Master Electricians Australia and the National Electrical Communications Association can assist their members to find an RTO.
Other resources to help with your safety check include:
- Electrical safety codes of practice - for practical guidance on ways to meet your electrical safety duties
- Workplace Health and Safety Queensland codes of practice - including working near asbestos and working at heights
- Workplace health and safety resources specifically for small businesses.
Further electrical information can be found at electricalsafety.qld.gov.au
- Last updated
- 21 January 2020