Renewable energy standards update
Installers and suppliers of renewable energy systems, including solar PV systems, should note that the renewable energy standards have been updated.
AS/NZS 4777.1:2016 Grid connection of energy systems via inverters – Part 1: Installation requirements now incorporates advances in technology and equipment available. It should still be read in conjunction with the AS/NZS 3000 wiring rules and also AS/NZS 5033 if the energy source includes a photovoltaic (PV) array.
The update further details installation requirements, including:
- details to clarify installation for multimode inverter systems (for example inverters with both grid interactive and stand-alone functionality)
- details for installations with multiple inverters
- requirements to prevent overvoltage in installations
- documentation and commissioning requirements
- warning signs and labelling
- an informative annex to outline some design considerations for inverter energy systems.
The transition period for AS/NZS 4777.1:2016 is until 30 March 2017. Installers are encouraged to use this latest version as soon as possible because of the improved safety outcomes.
AS/NZS 4777.1 requires inverters to comply with AS/NZS 4777.2 Grid connection of energy systems via inverters – Part 2: Inverter requirements.
Please keep in mind AS/NZS 4777.1:2005 or AS/NZS 4777.1:2016 editions are still being applied. All inverters in new installations are required to comply with AS/NZS 4777.2:2015.
For more information, visit electricalsafety.qld.gov.au.
- Last updated
- 24 November 2016
It's now even easier to track your claim with the Worker Assist app
Get real time updates about your claim, any time, anywhere, and find out when your next payment will be plus much more!