Childcare leaders gain valuable advice at industry forum
Over 85 employers from the childcare industry gathered at WorkCover Queensland’s first ever childcare industry forum to gain insights into industry trends, advice on reducing work related injuries and minimising impacts on people.
The forum, held in Brisbane on 23 March, was opened by WorkCover Queensland CEO Bruce Watson. He said WorkCover is committed to working with employers across the industry and that we are here to support employers and their workers when injuries happen.
Employers gained insights into current injury trends and workers’ compensation claims within the childcare industry from WorkCover Queensland Industry Manager Matthew Bannan.
Matthew indicated that the childcare industry was doing a great job at encouraging workers back to work soon after their injury – the industry average is 17 days, which is excellent compared to many other industries.
A great range of speakers from a variety of backgrounds included:
- Kylie Warren-Wright – National Health and Safety Manager with Goodstart Early Learning
- Dr Sid O’Toole – Occupational Physician
- Scott Falvey – Principal with McInnes Wilson Lawyers
- Peter Irving – Occupational Therapist.
The speakers covered a variety of topics and themes which included:
- the impacts of an aging workforce
- how to manage and look after your workforce who have work and non-work related injuries
- when to seek out help from an Occupational Physician or Occupational Therapist
- how to implement injury prevention strategies at a local facility level
- how to engage your staff in being involved in injury management and injury prevention
- the importance of keeping in touch with your people
- common law factors and the importance of documentation
You can access the presentation slides here.
Film recordings of the sessions are now also available via the links below.
For more information on upcoming events, please visit our What's On page.
- Last updated
- 01 June 2017
Register now for Safety Leadership Challenge Mid-Point Event
Attend an after-work event on 20 November 2017 on the progress of the Safety Leadership Challenge. Hear directly from the leaders involved around their challenges and solution.