You will need to complete training and assessment to be issued a General Construction Induction (White) card.

Note: this card was formerly known as the blue card.

Getting your card

To obtain a general construction induction card you will need to undertake training with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that conducts the General Construction Induction training. (Unit of competency - CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry). Once you have successfully completed the training the RTO will issue evidence that you have completed the training and the white card. You should keep evidence of completion of training as it may be required to replace your card in the future.

Replacing a card

To replace your white or blue card you need to contact the RTO that issued your card.

If the RTO that issued your card is no longer operating, you will need to contact another RTO that conducts General Construction Induction training and provide evidence that you have completed the required training or if you no longer have that evidence, a statutory declaration declaring that you have completed the training. You will also need to provide statutory declaration declaring the circumstances in which the card was lost, stolen or destroyed. Contact RTO for more information.

Do I need to replace a blue card?

If you already have a blue card, you do not need to change to a white card unless you are enrolled in a course of training that requires the completion of CPCCWHS1001 as a prerequisite, such as CPCCDE3014A Remove non-friable asbestos or CPCCDE3015A Remove friable asbestos.

If you are not enrolled in a course that requires the white card course as a prerequisite and your blue card becomes lost, damaged or destroyed, you can contact the relevant RTO to replace it with a white card (this is generally without the need to complete the new course CPCCWHS1001).

Interstate recognition of General Safety Induction cards

The following construction induction cards are recognised in Queensland and vice versa:

  • Victorian construction induction card
  • New South Wales construction induction card
  • Australian Capital Territory construction induction card
  • South Australia construction induction card
  • Tasmania construction induction card
  • Western Australia construction induction card
  • Northern Territory construction induction card.

Queensland white cards (including the former 'blue' cards) are also accepted throughout Australia.

Note: Old style NSW green cards (that are actually green in colour) are no longer valid in NSW or recognised in other jurisdictions. You will need to attend a construction induction - CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry to obtain a valid white card.

Last updated
02 May 2017