Travel and other allowances
WorkCover will cover the cost of necessary and reasonable travel expenses including travel for:
- medical treatment
- Medical Assessment Tribunal appointments
- independent medical examination appointments.
Travel is reimbursed according to what is the most reasonable method, usually public transport.
Some travel expenses are not covered, such as:
- trips less than 20km, one way
- if there is a closer treatment provider, but you choose to attend another further away.
We may reimburse other costs throughout the claim, including:
- parking (for medical treatment, rehabilitation, Medical Assessment Tribunal or independent medical examinations)
- meals when required to travel a whole day or overnight:
- breakfast—$22 (not payable on day of departure)
- lunch—$22 on day of departure (must arrive at destination before 1.30pm, on return must arrive home after 1.30pm)
- dinner—$38 on day of departure (must arrive at destination before 6.30pm, on return must arrive home after 6.30pm)
- reasonable itemised chemist expenses directly related to the work injury.
If your employer is licensed as a self-insurer, some internal processes may differ from WorkCover, therefore if you require clarification, you are able to contact the relevant workers’ compensation unit directly to discuss.
- Last updated
- 14 June 2019