Request a safety ambassador
We encourage Queensland businesses to show their commitment to health and safety by hosting an industry health and safety event. We can provide support to industry to demonstrate their leadership through partnering in an industry led health and safety event. Your business can apply for an Ambassador to attend health and safety events to share their story and engage with workers.
Please note that Mental Health Ambassador Libby Trickett has limited availability in October and will be on maternity leave from November 2019. Please take this into consideration when submitting an application.
Attendance by one of our Ambassadors at your industry event can assist with:
- increasing industry and workplace awareness about the importance of work health and safety
- highlight the personal impacts that an injury or illness can have on workers and their families
- prompt discussion about work health and safety
- encourage employers and workers to develop work health and safety solutions together.
Appropriate activities for the Ambassadors to participate in include:
- giving a keynote address
- presenting awards/prizes (only if a speaking opportunity is also provided).
Example activities that are not suitable for ambassadors.
|General morning tea/lunch/BBQ/networking with no safety focus.|
|Full day attendance.|
An event at which an Ambassador is requested to attend must meet strict criteria and is subject to approval on a case by case basis. Approval and Ambassador availability is not guaranteed.
The event must:
- provide an opportunity for the Ambassador to appear as a speaker at Queensland workplace-based and/or industry led safety events, speaking to Queensland workers (minimum presentation time 30 mins, maximum presentation time one hour)
- be supported by industry and industry bodies
- be operated by a reputable company
- be a work health and safety event, with a program of work health and safety speaker/s or work health and safety topics for discussion – i.e. the event cannot be a morning tea/lunch/BBQ/networking event with no specific safety focus, or where the Ambassador is the sole speaker. An event program outline must be supplied with the application.
- have an audience of at least 100 workers
- be free for participants to attend
- extend invitations to supply chain or industry/neighbouring companies
- provide credit to Workplace Health and Safety Queensland in the program where the Ambassador is noted or introduced (e.g., "Queensland Safety Ambassador Shane Webcke appears courtesy of Workplace Health and Safety Queensland").
Please note, all criteria above are mandatory for your request to be considered. You may be contacted by a Workplace Health and Safety Queensland representative for further information or clarification.
No audio recording or filming is permitted during Ambassador presentations and appearances.
In assessing the application, the Office of Industrial Relations will consider whether the event supports our corporate goals and objectives, including:
- increase effectiveness of strategic programs
- enhance corporate identity and reputation
- encourage industry/community engagement
- promote Queensland Government initiatives to relevant target audiences and priority industries
- focus on building and enhancing existing relationships
- encourage key stakeholders to participate in important issues and initiatives.
Requests for appearances at industry events will be considered by the Workplace Health and Safety Queensland Executive Management team. If declined by the executive, and event organisers still wish to engage an Ambassador, we can provide event organisers with the contact details for the Ambassador's management to negotiate an appearance directly. Costs in this instance will be borne by the event organiser.
Please note that our Ambassadors have other work commitments outside their Ambassador role, which may impact on their ability to attend events. Travel outside of Brisbane on weekdays may limit the timing of their presentation or ability to attend.
Make sure your industry safety event meets all the below criteria before you submit your request for an ambassador to attend. We will do everything we can to have ambassadors attend appropriate industry events, however their availability is not guaranteed. Please consider one of our safety advocates as an alternative to the ambassadors.
- Last updated
- 26 September 2019