If a tractor is used for tree felling or in situations which create a risk to the operator of falling objects, then the tractor should be designed and fitted with a falling object protective structure (FOPS).
FOPS is a mesh sheeting structure attached to the tractor to protect the operator from branches, rocks, bales and other falling objects.
An approved FOPS should be tested according to the procedures outlined in AS 2294 Earth-moving machinery, Protective structures.
A manufacturer should mark every FOPS legibly and permanently with the following information:
- the name and address of the manufacturer of the FOPS
- FOPS identification number
- make, model or serial number of the tractor(s) the structure is designed to fit
- the relevant Australian Standard or other acceptable standard with which the structure complies
- any other information deemed appropriate by the manufacturer, eg. installation, repair or replacement information
For more information about tractor safety refer to the Safe Design and Operation of Tractors Code of Practice 2005.
- Last updated
- 22 May 2018